Computer Systems and Networks with Cyber Security
This programme provides an opportunity to acquire skills for computer system configuration and maintenance in addition to studying the basis of Cyber Security.
In general you need to have a minimum of 5 passes at ordinary level in the Leaving Certificate or its equivalent. Applications are welcome from students with Leaving Certificate Vocational, Leaving Certificate Applied or FETAC Level 4 qualifications. Exceptions can be made where special circumstances apply on a case by case basis. The Leaving Certificate is not a requirement for mature students and appropriate experience can be considered as meeting the entry requirement for most courses.
- Computer Systems Hardware
- Networking Essentials
- Operating Systems (Oracle Virtual Box)
- Customer Service
- Mobile Technologies
- Work Experience
- Maths for Information Technology
QQI Computer Systems and Networks 5M0536 NFQ Level 5 and ECDL Cyber Security
There are approximately forty Higher Education Institutions including Universities, Technological Universities and private colleges offering places on a range of courses to QQI full award certificate holders. QQI’s information page Going to higher education using my QQI Award provides answers to some of the more frequently asked questions.
Intending applicants are advised at all times to confirm linked awards, any additional module requirements, applications processes and scoring systems with the Admission Offices of the participating Higher Education Institutions or visit visit cao.ie.
Graduates have secured places in universities such as TU Dublin, DCU, UCD and Maynooth.
Full awards can also be used for graduates' progression to Further Education level 6 courses - visit cao.ie for further information. Full awards can also be used for entry to UK, European and International universities, on a case-by-case basis. Full information can be found here.
5411 and 5412
Why study Computing with Cyber Security at Colaiste Ide:
- Gain insight into hacking methods such as SQL injection and stealing of user credentials. Also, gain insight into resolving of such issues.
- Access to latest software and technology.
- Become more confident ahead of studying computing degree in ITB, NCI, etc (very significant issue considering very high dropout rate in computing degrees)
- Consider implications with regard to college fees in having to repeat a year at 3rd level.
- Establish if you truly want to pursue a computing career.
- Become more proficient with technologies in general.